Snapping vertices during digitisation and reconstruction

Hi all,

Just a quick suggestion which might have been brought up previously. I was wondering if it might be possible to implement a “snapping” capability for the digitise and pole manipulation tools. While I would usually use a GIS application for digitisation, it can be useful to quickly sketch things up in GPlates, and these sketches would be much neater if I had the option to snap the vertices I draw to other nearby vertices. Similarly, when manipulating reconstructions of individual point features (e.g. vertices of a deforming network) it would be useful to be able to snap points onto others. Perhaps there is already a workaround for this which I am missing?

Happy weekend!

Tom

2 Likes

I’m a bit sad to see this was suggested so many years ago and was not implemented. I am so missing this feature! Especially as there are quite some worldbuilders out there using GPlates, it would allow for a lot better workflow.

The only workaround I know is copying a feature to the clipboard and using the points you want to snap to. But often this means that you have to create a scrap object as “draft” and it requires several tedious steps that would not be required if there was a snapping function.