Pybacktrack for new well data

Hi,
Currently I built Backtrack model from industrial well that very different location than test_data available on backtrack bundle. whenever I run the the script, it get warning like this :ValueError*: Well is on continental passive margin but rift end age was not extracted from well file and was not specified by user. Either add RiftEndAge to the well file or specify rift end age on command-line.

So, which data bundle should I modify?

Thankyou for your help

Cheers
Agg

Hi agusti,

Since your well is on a continental passive margin it uses a continental rifting subsidence model, so you’ll need to specify when rifting starts and ends, which you can either do by modifying your well file or by specifying rift start/end on the command-line.

To do that have a look at these parts of the documentation:

Hi John,
Thanks for your help.
I was wondering, would it be possible for PyBacktrack to do Backtrack if its multiple stages of rifting. and if it possible, what would be the command to put on:

RiftStartAge = 160

RiftEndAge = 120

RiftStartAge = 100

RiftEndAge = 80

Would it work to put command like above ? if the case I have 2 different Rifting stages.

Thank you John

Regards,
Agg

It’s not currently possible. However you might be able to tweak the single rift start end end times to achieve the expected rifting. PyBacktrack will then find a single rift stretching factor such that modelled subsidence matches actual subsidence at present day.

Also note that, in the next release of pyBacktrack (version 1.4 expected in February) you will not be required to specify rift start/end times because there will be a builtin grid of start/end times covering all submerged continental crust (ie, in non-NaN areas of total sediment thickness grid but in NaN areas of age grid) obtained indirectly from the Muller 2019 deforming plate model using pyGPlates. You can still specify rift start/end times as in 1.3 but there will be a fallback path in 1.4 if they’re not specified.