Plate kinematics of Eurasia-India convergence

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone has published plate kinematics information of Eurasia-India convergence, especially the convergence angle between the two plates since Cretaceous.

Any reference will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Wenrong

Wenrong Cao
Assistant Professor
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Nevada, Reno

1 Like

Hi Wenrong,

Thanks for posting question in this forum. We are glad to see people starting using it.

Anyone knows anything about this? @Dietmar

Thanks for posting question in this forum. We are glad to see people starting using it.

I am wondering if anyone has published plate kinematics information of Eurasia-India convergence, especially the convergence angle between the two plates since Cretaceous.

Good question. Wegener was a great person, the problem with him is that when he proposed his vision of how the continents moved, he forgot to emphasize he operated flat Earth model. Don’t you see, guys, no any continent crossed the border of his picture to reappear on the opposite side of his picture? The Earth is spherical in fact. It’s insanely unnatural to assume that the driving force behind the movement of continents would make them dance only on one side of the Globe.

You may wish to consider NZ and Australia moved to current position from the West of South America (NZ from southern part of it), and India from on-top of Australia. Yes, doing so, you are to ditch the whole gplates thing, the sad fact, sorry. And on having ditched the thing, also feel free to consider eastern part of Chine was once western part of North America.

Regards,
S. Sukhotinsky, Institute of Seismology and Geodynamics, the Crimea.

1 Like

Hi Wenrong,

We published a paper on this a few years ago:
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2011GC003883

There are likely others out there too!

Cheers,
Sabin

1 Like

Hi Sabin and others, thanks for the information. I will check the paper you referred.

Wenrong