How to export the velocity vector?

I’m a green hand with GPlates. When I try to export velocity vector by GPlates from the tutorials, I find the exoported data velocity vectors are different with GPlates snapshot. Where did I go wrong?

Sorry, new users can only upload one photo.

Hi KuidiZhang,

My guess would be something in how the exported data is interpreted in your Panoply. I’m not familiar with Panoply but maybe you exported from GPlates as Cartesian 3D vectors (x/y/z), instead of Azimuth, and Panoply is interpreting the x and y as longitude and latitude, or something like that.

Hi, John,
Thank you very much for your reply. I’m sure the exported data as Cartesian 3D vectors (x/y/z), there has no mistakes.

Not only the Panoply, but also the GMT can’t plot the right velocity vector. So, I check the raw data (.xy) exported from the GPlates and find it’s mismatching with GPlates snapshots.
My exported process as follows,

1. Load Muller_2016_etal_230Ma plate reconstruction data.
    “Sorry, new users can only put one embedded media item in a post.”
  2. Cenerate Velocity Domain Points (Latitude Longtitude) and create velocity vector
  3. export velocity data (lon lat vx vy vz)
    Then I convert data format from .xy to .grd by GMT and plot .grd in GMT and Panoply. And then there’s what you saw at the begining.

Hi John,
I think the problem which exported data is in Cartesian 3D coordinate rather than spherical coordinate. I exported data by CitcomS Points in CitcomS global(*) format and get vx and vy in plane. As you konw, the CitcomS format would divide the data into 12. So, I wonder how to export complete velocity data(lat lon vx vy) all at once. Looking forward your replay.

Maybe try setting Azimuth in your velocity export…

Yes, I do that. But I need to transform (v_azimuth, v_magnitude) to (vx, vy) by myself. How can I export (vx, vy ) directly?

Oh, I think you want Colatitude / Longitude (sorry, I confused myself on the CitcomS output)…

Thank you, John. I get it. I have tried exporting data in this format before, but I didn’t noticed that the format of data writing was different that of GMT, so I thought it was wrong data (as you konw, GMT is positive in North and East, GPlates is in South/East. )
The problem has been solved. Thank you again for your kind reply. :smiley: