GPates overwrites wrong rotation file

Hi all,

Weird bug I’ve encountered a couple of times now using GPlates 2.2. I typically use two rotation files which I link to each other using the interface. What has happened is that I saved the modifications in one of the rotation files via the Manage Feature Collections window and it not only overwrote the correct file, it also overwrote the linked rotation file with the same data. Now I have two rotation files which are exactly the same… This has happened twice now and it’s a real pain to recover without constant backups. I can’t see any error messages associated with this. Any idea what’s happening?

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here. Can you show what you have in terms of the yellow rotation layers and your connections inside them?

Regards,
John

Hi John,

Sorry I should have been more specific. Here’s a screenshot to show what I’m talking about - the model I do most of my work on is the “orocline” model, while the modified EarthByte model runs the continents in the background. The overwrite bug has happened when saving either of these files, and has occurred on both .rot and .grot file extensions.

Capture

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reporting that. Turned out to be a long-standing bug in the .grot reader. I’ve just fixed that now, so it will be in the next public release.

It didn’t affect regular .rot rotation files though. I only noticed the problem with .grot files.

Regards,
John